Thursday, August 20, 2009

Not so much.

At the bar recently I noticed that the Twin's ex was standing near my table, patently ignoring me. I'm not his biggest fan. (Let's call him PegLeg...it's a long story.) For close to an hour he and his group stood right next to my table. Really? Find a new place to stand. It's a big bar and this is stupid.
The break-up itself was fairly brutal in my eyes: it came out of nowhere following a long-term relationship. It came with a parting gift. It was bad. It was a couple years ago, and this was the first time I'd seen him since.
I occasionally occupied myself discussing his facial hair with a friend. (You know that episode of Family Guy where Peter grows a beard for birds to live in? Yeah.) And suddenly he turns around and looks at me. "Hey," with a wave. I put my hand up in acknowledgement, stunned at his gall. I was quite relieved that Twin wasn't out with us that particular night.
We were good friends in high school, before The Relationship. I think we were friends before Twin knew him. But as The Relationship developed, PegLeg was not a good friend. He was rude. I grew to loathe him.
(The rest of my night was fantastic, the kind of night you have to recap the next day. Going out was a Good Life Choice.)
And then, he was heading for the door. Walking past us, he spoke again. "Hey." And at this point, I can't believe any of this is happening. How are you so completely lacking the social skills to know that this is a POOR Life Choice? What part of your brain is telling you to proceed here? There is no reason for us to go through these motions. I have no need for you in my life and I am not going to pretend I care. We don't have to like each other! In fact, the statute of limitations on Scorning One's Twin is forever.
Unfortunately, that was all in my head and my friend didn't hear any of it. This friend, far too jovial to be concerned with awkward encounters, responded. PegLeg turned around to try again. Allow me to transcribe our conversation, hm?
PegLeg: "Hey."
Bitter Amanda: *glares*
PL: "....Bye....."
BA: "Bye."
PL: "....That's all I've got."
BA: "Yeah."

Did I mention that he recently broke up with another girl, a dear friend of mine? Yeah. That happened. He's a gem. And I really have nothing to say to someone like that.

No comments: