Wednesday, May 08, 2013

I'm annoyed by technology.

Eight. 

I can count eight apps on my phone, off the top of my head, that allow me to send messages to someone. I'm not even including--

NINE I forgot Words with Friends has a chat feature

--the actual texting and calling features of a phone. Nine things that will put a notification in front of you if I want to get in touch. Nine beeps, buzzes, and tones. No matter where you are or what time it is, I can get a message to you if it's needed. And since you can take your phone pretty much anywhere, there's really very little to excuse not getting in touch these days. As far as phones being forbidden...it's like..airplanes, prisons, and jury duty, right? Oh, and the summer camps I do.
As smart phones soared in popularity and became the ubiquitous accessory they are now, I slowly steeled myself to the idea that people were probably tweeting and pooping at the same time, at least some of the time. 

We're not talking about pooping while texting today, though. My point with this is that really, what are valid excuses for not getting in touch with someone? When people say their boyfriend, girlfriend, whatever isn't getting back to them, I have some questions. Is this person a surgeon? Are they on call at the hospital and had to deliver a baby? Does this person work for a government agency? I'm told some of those places don't allow employees to keep phones on them. Is this person flying to Australia and in the air for days on end? Did this person swear off technology and embrace a simpler life? Are they an astronaut on the International Space Station? 

No? Well then you should be hearing back within a couple days. There's no excuse for radio silence, especially in the dating arena. 


(I promise I don't tweet in the bathroom, guys. I wouldn't do that to you.)

No comments: