Thursday, February 27, 2014

Talking to Strangers

Given how much I travel, one might think I would get better at scheduling blog posts during my absence. (I do that but not often enough.) Sometimes I just don't have a lot to say, though--and whether that's a good or bad thing depends entirely on your perspective. The biggest factor lately is that I just haven't been concerned with meeting men. Ok, that's only partially true. I've been very concerned with men but only ones who will put their face on mine for a little bit and then not ask for my phone number. So...I guess really I haven't been concerned with dating. If I cared about you all more I would probably try harder so I had stories to tell you. Perhaps in the future. 

This weekend, though...I met a lot of men. I went to DC on Friday, for a meeting that ran through Sunday. I extended my trip through Tuesday evening so I could visit with friends. And let me tell you...I made friends all over DC. 

I'll spare you the details of the guy preaching by the White House and the guy making ambulance noises in front of one of the museums. But all day Monday, I made friends. Guys checking bags inside museums had stories to tell me and wanted to tease me. Guys serving coffee wanted to chat. Fundraisers cornered me to badger me into donating money--one in particular high fived me too many times and was rather offensive after I turned him down. Fortunately, his supervisor caught me and asked me some questions to evaluate the new guy. My fellow Midwesterners sat down next to me to tell me all about their visit to our nation's capital. At the airport on Tuesday, I had a chat with TSA as I waited for my bags to be scanned. (Probably my favorite--we talked about Converse.) 

I'm not new to the idea of talking to strangers--I actually do that pretty regularly. But I think I experienced far more of it than usual during my day wandering around DC. Do you guys talk to strangers? What is it about someone that makes you chat with them? Is it proximity--stuck in line at the grocery store? Or is it something else? Leave a comment or send a message and let me know what you think! 



(Actually...now that I think about it, it's probably payback for me playing my favorite crowded place game all day... a story for another day.)

2 comments:

JellyBeans said...

I talk to strangers daily as part of my job. Consequence: I rarely talk to people I know and I have an aversion to making eye contact :)

Amanda said...

Hmm...interesting!You gotta wear more red and get that confidence going! ;)