Thursday, October 17, 2013

This is a post about football. Yes, really.

I'm trying to learn about football. 

Trying. 

I suppose I've been inactively trying to figure out the rules for about a decade, and during my high school years I made a very serious effort. I was in the marching band, so I had a pretty decent opportunity every week--I was required to be at the games anyway. Despite all this, I still don't really get it. Somehow my brain just can't wrap itself around the sport. (By the way, non-US readers, I am in fact talking about American football. Just to clear that up.) 

But this year, I'm trying and perhaps making some progress. The goal is to participate in fantasy football next year--I've been invited to join and honestly? I have a lot of ideas. I can't say much yet, but you're going to want to stick around for that accompanying blog. (Actually, in the meantime you can read this blog, which is following the author's first year of fantasy football, and it's fantastic.)

So what's the catalyst for some of these football facts actually sticking? Good question. When a bunch of us meet weekly for beers and catching up, sometimes we also reprimand each other for choices in our dating lives. (Also sometimes we high five choices. And sometimes a friend makes a choice that earns high fives from some and Disapproving Looks from others. Ok, it's usually me making those controversial decisions.) ANYWAY. This week, B had a lot to share. His relationships have been a straight up rollercoaster lately. So naturally, as any good friends would, we scrutinize and judge his decisions. Because we care. As there was a football game going on at the same time, M took the opportunity to teach me football rules in relationship terms. 

It was genius. I have a pretty good sense of holding, and I DEFINITELY understand when there's a flag on the play. I might finally have a grasp on this! 

I mean, or not. We'll have to see if it sticks, first. Good thing football isn't over for MONTHS AND MONTHS. (I'm trying, you guys, but old habits die hard.) 

No comments: