Thursday, November 19, 2009

And not one word about the air freshener...

I promise.

The holidays are approaching much faster than usual, it would seem. Thanksgiving is next week. Madness! And yet...despite the quickly approaching festivities, I have refrained from partaking. Ok, so last night I had a peppermint mocha at Starbucks, but that's miles away from putting up a Christmas tree. It doesn't even count as a holiday celebration. That's coffee--I do that all the time! I know there is a large group of people who think it's way too early in the season. I try to stay away from it until Thanksgiving, but you know...you can't stop progress. Or the holiday juggernaut. Christmas movies are starting to pop up on all the usual networks, though, and who am I to stop them? Television, you do what you have to do--don't worry about those naysayers who think it's too early! (And feel free to play Elf as many times as you find necessary. Thanks.)

Speaking of the holiday frenzy, I saw a commercial for Baskin-Robbins ice cream cakes--to help your family celebrate! And while I'm ok with ice cream cake, (BR is inferior to my mother's recipe, though--seriously, ask any of her offspring.) I am NOT ok with a cake shaped like a turkey! Blechhhh. How is that appetizing? It's confusing! Like when you eat a buttered popcorn Jelly Belly...eyes say candy, but brain says popcorn. I do not enjoy taste experiences like that. (Bottom line: if anyone shows up to my Thanksgiving this year bearing a turkey cake, please expect to leave immediately. Seriously, no room at the inn and all that. You'll be asked to go.)

Yesterday, the phone rang. It was a recorded message, and I only got as far as, "Press 1 for a message about capitalism." I hung up because really, I don't have time for that. It did leave questions in my mind, though. Was the message pro-capitalism? Against it? Was it just going to define the term for me? Ask my opinion? The possibilities are endless! Maybe I should have listened? ...Then, I remembered that it was likely going to be really annoying. I felt better in my decision. Maybe next time, whoever you are, you'll get to the point sooner.

No comments: