Thursday, September 10, 2009

We didn't even have a Prom Queen!

I started high school in the fall of 1998 and graduated in 2002. (Yes, this was a long time ago.) During that time, movie theaters were flooded with comedies about life in the American high school...it was madness. Can't Hardly Wait, Never Been Kissed, 10 Things I Hate About You, She's All That, Drive Me Crazy, American Pie...see what I mean? I saw all those while I was in high school.

Today I rewatched 10 Things when it came on tv...and good lord. It's amazing I came out so well adjusted!

Not because they were bad movies...but because they were so misleading! That did NOT reflect my high school experience. Let's examine prom. Movies would lead me to believe that my prom would be filled with beautiful people doing a choreographed dance. It would be at some glamorous hotel! (Ok, fine, so that part was basically true...my prom was in the ballroom of a hotel.) A famous ska band or maybe The Donnas would provide the soundtrack to our evening. There would be major drama and gossip and probably tears in the ladies' room! In the men's room, dreamy athletes would be making bets on who would get laid in the upstairs hotel room they'd managed to procure. In the end, we'd all end up with The Perfect Date and prom would end after we'd all accepted that our lives were changing but we still had each other. We would listen to some Britney and everyone would get what they deserved.

Now, don't get me wrong. My prom was fantastic. I adored my date, had a great dress, danced with my friends...it was a great night. But that's no thanks at all, really, to the movie industry! No one tried to teach us some stupid choreography. And I didn't see one single girl crying in the ladies' room. Not one!

Stupid movies.

No comments: