Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Downloading it as we speak.

I love Christmas music. This might seem odd, but I can't help myself. I love the classics, but also rejoice at the new and quirky releases. Jack Johnson changed my whole opinion about Rudolph, and Everclear singing "Santa Baby" is worth hearing no matter what holiday you celebrate.

Each year I search tirelessly for new music to add to my collection, which I would put into rotation sometime around Labor Day if it wasn't considered entirely eccentric. I like to check out the suggestions that itunes and amazon.com have for me. Many a young pop star has covered a holiday classic. But nothing--nothing--could match my joy at the following:

Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson- "Baby, It's Cold Outside"

My jaw dropped. I can only assume that this song was recorded when they were in love, with little hearts and stars pouring out of them when they were together. It's a natural choice: two famous pop stars who married young so they could sleep together (oh, and because they loved each other) sing a holiday duet between a man and a woman on some sort of date. (My personal feelings for this song will remain unspoken.) It had to have been a brilliant idea. Everyone was excited! It'll sell countless copies! Record it!

Aaaaand then they got a divorce. Ouch. That's painful. And it's not even taking into account the fact that they have a television show devoted to their marriage, which anyone can watch on DVD whenever they want! (Guessing Nick and Jess do not indulge?) But this! Is so! Much better! It hides itself for most of the year. A little holiday surprise, if you will. It's one of those things that you forget about since you don't see it all the time. This song is packed away in the attic with the Christmas decorations and only gets hauled out after Thanksgiving. Unpacking the strings of lights and boxes of ornaments, you would find this song at the bottom of a trunk. 'Oh. Hey there. Um...this is awkward. Should we bring this out?...No. Maybe not. Nevermind. Hm.'


Awk.Ward.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

omg! You just reminded me how much I miss watching Newlyweds.