Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Some tips, 1940s style.

Ladies, I have all the answers you need. I found a hilarious book this past weekend that I just had to have...How to Get Along with Boys. It's a reprint of a book from 1945. And it is FULL of solid advice. (Maybe later we can talk about how at the ripe old age of 23 I have already broken 7, possibly 8, of the 10 rules in Chapter XI: How Not to Offend Him.)
I do find myself confused, though, as I read the section on writing love letters. It is suggested that one should edit letters before sending them off into the world. Sure, not a bad plan. But the reasoning? That loved ones have a habit of reading into things, and you wouldn't want to unnecessarily trouble them. Now...this is a manual for ladies. Who are trying to pin down a man. Um...preeeeeeety sure that women are the only ones reading between the lines. Right? Are we not constantly berated by men for trying to figure out "what he really means"? Do they not repeatedly tell us they mean what they said? So...doesn't it seem highly unlikely that a man would sit there, rereading a letter in order to search for hidden meanings and subtext? Am I crazy?

No comments: