Saturday, August 13, 2011

Sorry...

One of my best friends is getting married soon, and it has caused no small amount of reflection on our assorted adventures together. Essentially, 26 years of adventures. One weekend probably a decade ago, we decided to have Lame Movie Weekend. We rented a couple classics...Glitter and Love Story. The former is one I don't really want to talk about, as I've blocked much of it out. Awful.
But Love Story. Wow. Have you seen it? It's this story of two Ivy League college students who fall in love and then there's something about money problems and [SPOILER ALERT] she comes down with some mysterious, unnamed illness which we assumed was cancer. I wasn't impressed. Sorry. However, somewhere along the way, Ali McGraw issues the statement, "Love means never having to say you're sorry."

What? I mean...what?? Is she for real? What sort of dreamlike trance is she living in? Maybe that's ok if you're not trying to maintain a relationship. But if you are, then love means ALWAYS having to say you're sorry! Love means saying you're sorry even if you don't think you should! Love means saying you're sorry even if you're not sure WHY. Love is what happens in between apologies. Let's be real here.


...So maybe I'll leave this story out of conversations at the wedding.

2 comments:

SarahMahon said...

If love means never having to say you're sorry, then the following would be ok:

"Hey, I destroyed your car while driving drunk on a windy twisty road at 3AM. But I love you, so I don't have to apologize. You can just accept and understand that you no longer have a car, and insurance prices from now on will skyrocket for you."

or

"Baby, I love you but I'm sleeping with your best friend. But since you love me, and I love you, I'm not going to apologize for being a douchebag. Love means never having to say you're sorry. And I'm not sorry. Sex with your friend was amazing."

I could go on. But "love means never having to say you're sorry" is basically a get out of jail free card for being an asshole.

Amanda said...

Preach.