Thursday, January 11, 2007

I Am...Ridiculous?

Have you seen this Burger King commercial? They’ve taken the classic female-empowerment anthem “I Am Woman” by Helen Reddy and transformed it into an anthem about…burgers.
Actually, it’s about rejecting anything that isn’t inherently manly. Like quiche. This has been seen before in ad campaigns, like the
Miller Lite “Man Law” ads. I think those are some of the funniest ads on tv—they support the same cause as Burger King, only, you know…they’re more clever.
Now, I am totally on board with this whole “reclaiming masculinity” crusade. I’m not looking for a man who wants to go shopping with me. I’m looking for a man who goes shopping with me because he feels obligated to go! Who fears my nagging if he says no! Who goes with the hope of me sleeping with him because of it! You know, the old-fashioned way.
My real issue with this Burger King ad is that they seem to have compared equality for women with driving mini-vans. I didn’t realize that men were feeling unheard and unseen. Imagine my surprise when a man burned his underwear in this ad. I guess…I guess that’s kind of like women burning their bras? What exactly is he protesting with this move? I just don’t get it.
Burger King, you may be hungry, incorrigible, and man, but I think you’re putting your issues too high on a pedestal. Come on, just eat the quiche and know that it earns points with your lady. Just like generations of men before you.

No comments: